Thursday, July 17, 2008



OK, This falls into the category of OMG!

This is something I thought I would never do, as I have always had pets that were either neutered or spayed at the first opportunity. But who else but us would adopt a pet from the Humane Society less than a week from her 'season'. What is really funny about all this is that I had the dog at the vet for her initial check-up to make arrangements for the spay operation and the vet said that she was already spay. He even showed me the scar. It was the very next morning and OMG!! I called the vet back and said I thought we had better rethink the scar issue. His response----"Opps!" So anyway, here we are trying to cope with this new pet experience. And these doggie diapers seem to be the best solution (at $10.00 a box!!!!) for keeping the carpet and furniture clean. Josie does not seem to mind having them on, at least she does not try to bite or chew them off. We did have a time trying to figure out how to just keep them on, as she would just walk out of them as they slipped down her little hips. But Mike came up with an idea to put a doggie suspender on it. It is hard to explain, so just imagine a long strip of packing tape attached at one end to the diaper and the other end to her collar. NO!! We did not tape it to the dog itself, but doubled the tape over on itself. Looks kinda funny, but works. (not shown in the accompanying photo) I guess you can take the man out of the engineering job, but not the engineer out of the man. Other than this, Josie is settling in quite nicely. She is sweet, loving and wants to please. She is the best walking pet partner I have had and that has encouraged me to get back out there for morning walks. But, I mean, really!! who would have thought she would come in heat so soon after adoption. Yuck.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chet and Gini said...

Isn't it amazing what we will do for our dogs? The say they become substitute children once our kids leave the nest....

12:52 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

Ha Ha- Ironic that their new dog needs to wear diapers like a baby.

Seriously though, I don't think they would do it given a choice and their house isn't set up for outside dogs.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home