Tuesday, May 13, 2008

For the first time in my life, I have been called in for jury duty. And just my luck, I was chosen for the trial. I was so hoping that I would not have to serve. No big reason, I just don't like driving into that part of town, and trying to find a parking space. But now that I am on the trial jury, I have to say, it's not so bad. It is really interesting listening to both sides. And it was downright funny listening to the jury selection. Some people will say just about anything to get out of serving. This one guy first wanted off because he was self employed contractor. Then he said he could not be impartial if he thought the law was unfair (i.e. he thought Marijuana should be legalized), then he stated that he knew for a fact that three of the local policemen were thieves, so he would not be inclined to believe the testimony of a cop. But it worked in the end, he was not chosen. And two of the women who did not want to serve cried, and were not chosen either. The lawyer asked me if it would influence me in favor of the state because they got to present their case first. I told him that it did not matter, in fact I liked to have the last word. That made the whole court laugh. But I still got picked. The trial should last through Thursday.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chet and Gini said...

I was on a Grandy Jury once and enjoyed the experience - learned alot. It is interesting to see how the system actually works.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Mike Angie Patrick Aaron said...

You are not allowed to talk about case until its done. But when it is done, I am dying to know what you thought.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home